5 traditional fairs to visit in Mallorca
Majorcan fairs are one of the main ways to get to know the products and the traditions of Mallorca. At them the visitor is surrounded by the delicious local flavours in a tour of the beautiful towns of the island.
Even if you are already clear about what you are going to visit during your 5 star holiday, we offer 5 typical fairs that you should not miss during your trip to Mallorca.
- Flower Fair. The traditional Fira de les Flors is celebrated in the village of Costitx on May 1st. This fair welcomes the spring with beautiful displays of flowers and agricultural products. However not only this, but the whole town is full of flowers and colour to celebrate this unique fair that features traditional cuisine and live music.
- Fira del llonguet. The Mallorcan delicacy – the llonguet, or langosta, is the traditional loaf of bread filled with sausage, cheeses and traditional gourmet fillings. During the month of April more than 16 ovens join together in this wonderful fair in which they prepare the most avant-garde llonguets paired with local wines, craft beers and the traditional liquor hierbas dulces.
- Wine Fair in Pollença. Held during the month of May, the cloister in the beautiful town of Pollença is full of colour and stalls where visitors can taste the best Mallorcan wines and savour delicious cheeses, sobrasada and all kinds of sausages.
- Medieval fair. Held in Capdepera the third week of May. This charming town in the centre of Mallorca is full with banners, shows, markets and medieval music to commemorate its founding by King Jaime II of Aragon. The imposing castle of Capdepera is one of those essential places visit during this celebration.
- Book Fair. The streets of Palma are filled with charming stalls where you can find books of all kinds. This cultural exhibition is held between the months of May and June and offers a wide range of literary creations for all ages.
Mallorca is a destination with a great cultural offering throughout the year for those who wish to get to know the traditions. Furthermore Majorcan fairs bring together the best local products and typical exhibitions which help you to get closer to the culture of the island.