La Travessa, a tour through the Sierra de Tramuntana
Every visitor to the island falls in love with the trips through the Sierra de Tramuntana and, amongst them all, the Travessa de Mallorca stands out. This is the amazing crossing that runs through the incredibly beautiful mountainous area in a tour of the towns, shelters and most beautiful trails on the island. This is an alternative way to discover the beauty of the island and to enjoy being able to completely unwind on this journey that starts very close to your 5 star hotel in Calvià.
There are many ways to start the ‘Travessa’. Normally it’s done in 5 stages that start in Calviá and end in Pollença.
- Es Capdellà – Esporles. The first stage passes through an area of low difficulty that is full of beautiful trails that end in the town of Esporles, where you find the refuge of Son Trias, a charming hostel a few metres from the lively centre of the town.
- Esporles – Sóller. This route is considered by many hikers as one of the most beautiful of the Travessa. Departing from Esporles, you ascend until you reach the beautiful village of Valldemossa, where you really have to stop and try the delicious cocas de patata (potato cakes). The ascent continues to Sóller with a medium difficulty route with some stretches off road.
- Sóller – Tossals Verds. The third stage has a more difficult ascent, especially in the last section of the route, where you come across the valley of Almallutx and the Cúber reservoir, one of the ‘sights’ of Mallorca. The refuge of Tossals Verds is one of the most popular with hikers for its excellent food, gardens and rooms.
- Tossals Verds – Lluc. At this considerable height the landscape seems rustic. On this route you can see the old stone warehouses where snow used to be kept in winter to make ice creams and ointments. The route’s difficulty gradually diminishes until you reach the fascinating monastery of Lluc.
- Lluc – Pollença. This last stage isn’t difficult because it runs virtually downhill and once more you follow the green paths in a very pleasant journey lasting less than 4 hours. Once in Pollença, the Majorcan public transport network organizes buses that pass every hour in the direction of Palma and its surroundings.
And to end your ‘get away from it all’ holiday in Mallorca there’s nothing better than rewarding yourself with the spa service in your luxury hotel in Palma, where you can relax and rest after this beautiful 5 day journey. The best way to end your sports getaway to Majorca is waiting for you at Pure Salt Luxury Hotels.